Friday, January 19, 2007

Surgeon's Appointment and Costs of the Lap Band

Today I had the surgeon's visit with Dr R, the doctor who will be doing my surgery. I bought my Fiancee along so that he had a good idea of what was going to be done. We chatted for around 45 mins, and I feel well informed about the whole process and of course, what risks are associated with getting this surgery done. I feel more comfortable with the whole thing now... I'm even first on the list for the day to get operated on! Yay Me! If there is a diabetic patient being operated on then they get to go first... but if not, I'm first up baby! Good! I want to get it over and done with. The sooner the better quite frankly!

Just to let you know about how I am paying for this procedure. I am going through the Circle of Care program that costs $6500 for the year. This includes the surgery and follow-up for 1 year including dietitian, physiotherapy, Psychology and Band fill appointments. I also have full private health cover for the hospital visit so I'm only out of pocket for the excess amount of $500. There is also the opportunity to claim approx $1400 from medicare and some more back for the dietitian, physio and psychologist appointments through my health fund. So all up, I'm out of pocket approx $4000. I even got a new job with more pay so that I can pay for it myself. The good thing is, is that I am able to pay it over 1 year, and that if I am able to pay more off then the interest on the remaining payments goes down.

Ok, enough from me. Gotta go Psych myself up for starting my Opti-crap for the next two weeks. Wish me luck!! Will write soon.

14 sleeps to go!!

LBG xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Don't know if you'll comment back but I was wondering what health insurance you have?!? I REALLY don't want to ask family for the money (really i don't even want them to know i'm thinking about this surgery)SO I was thinking about buying health insurance through Humana One or Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I don't have a job but can afford about $150 a month for private insurance. Oh boy i'm babbling...thanks for ANY info! If you don't mind we could type back and forth through email.

Yellowrose386@aol.com

Thanks so much!
Kat