Sunday, February 4, 2007

I've done it! I'm a bandster!

Well I can hardly believe that I've had the operation. I was so nervous leading up to the big day, but it's been and gone with not too much trouble. I'm Day 2 post op, so still feeling quite sore where my cuts are. I'm finding it difficult to keep still in one spot as I get quite uncomfortable sitting, and my tummy is making rumbling noises all the time. I'm also finding it difficult to burp, and sometimes it hurts to burp, so I don't try too hard. Other than that.. I'm feeling quite good... No nausea or vomiting (thank goodness!!)

So, here's a rundown of my time in hospital and the immediate post op for all of those people out there who may be reading this who haven't had it done yet.

I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am after a pretty crappy nights sleep. I checked in at admissions and then was taken upto the ward where I would be staying for the night. I was in a room of 3 beds, but only one other bed was occupied. I was given a quick questionnaire about my medical history, told to get into my hospital gown and given a heparin injection (that hurt like hell!!). Since I was first on the list, I was trolleyed away fairly quickly... had to say goodbye to my fiance which is when I started to get a bit teary. So they rolled me in bed all the way to theatre, where I met my Aneasthistist. He gave me some awesome pre-meds that made me feel drunk. It was Freezing in the theatre, so I was given a heat pad for under my blankets until the operation. I remember being rolled into theatre 5, with a big light.. thats where I saw Dr T, the assistant surgeon. I can't remember what I said to him exactly. He asked me if I wanted to wait for Dr R to come in and say hi, and I just said I wanted to be knocked out. That was the last I remembered. Next thing I know, I'm being woken up in recovery to the sounds of two screaming kids. I was very drowsy so slipped in and out of sleep for the rest of the day. I remember the nurses coming in and taking off my gown and helping me into my pjs, washing my war wounds and giving me some more pain relief. My BP before the op was high - 147/90. When I came out of the op it was 90/40!!!! So I had to have the oxygen mask for most of the day. My BP came back to normal after a while and I was feeling alot better! About 4pm I was awake enough to be able to ask to go to the toilet. I was a bit worried at this stage how I would go with walking, but I was fine, it was just getting up and out of bed that was the hard part. The afternoon was fairly uneventful. Watched some TV, my fiance came to visit and that was about it. The only bad thing was, that I was Nil By Mouth for the whole day, and my throat was sooo sore from the tube down my throat and my mouth felt feral. I had baaaaaad hospital breath! The only thing I was allowed was crushed Pain Tabs with the tiniest bit of water, hardly enough to wash the taste of the tablet out of my mouth!!

I didn't sleep much that evening... mostly because I had a particularly annoying roomie who decided to turn her light on at odd hours of the night just to go to the bathroom, who had ear surgery so had to have her TV up extra loud and who was addicted to coffee and decided that 5:30am was a good time to get up and make one!

The next morning was my first try at fluids. I was given a cup of water to try.. it went down like a treat. Next was a delicious chicken consomme (watered down chicken stock) and some apple juice. Best thing I've ever tasted!!! I then had a rest for the morning until the Dr was round to see me at midday.. then I could leave. The Dr said that the surgery went well, and they even took photos of my insides! I can't wait to see them!

The rest of the day was pretty quiet. The car ride home was fine. I took a pillow to rest on my tummy. I started on full fluids when I got home, managed a cup of strawberry milk and half a cup of soup before having a nap in the afternoon. In the evening I had a full Up-and-go over an hour and that filled me up, but I was terribly gassy. A couple of De-Gas tabs worked a treat! I've been on the panadol since I left hospital which has kept the pain at bay.

Today, day 2 post op, I've been feeling pretty great. Still gassy, but not as uncomfortable as yesterday. I have managed an optifast sachet (half in the morning half for lunch), a cup of apple juice and some water today. I've also done my first poop in 2 days (nothing much to speak of.. but it was still something!!), but I've mostly been farting *lol*.

No shoulder tip pain to speak of, which I am glad about. I had a bit in hospital, but the peppermint tea really helped with it so I know what to take if it happens again!

Ok, that's it from me. Need to go and lie down for a bit as I've been sitting up for a while! Will report back tomorrow with how I am going.

LBG xx

P.S. Good Luck to KAT who is having her surgery tomorrow!!!


Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You are not on your way to a much healthier, happier you. Good luck with your journey.

Banded 11 December 2006

Anonymous said...

OMG I'M SO SORRY. That was meant to read Congratulations you are NOW on your way .....

Gee one typo makes all the difference to the whole sentence. I'm SO SORRY.


LapBandGirl said...

No Worries Shelly! Thanks for your lovely message!

LBG xx