Saturday, June 20, 2009

Almost home..

Just hanging out at Hong Kong airport. I've got around 4 hours to kill and I'm dead tired from my overnight flight from Barcelona.

The trip was pretty damn amazing. First I was in Frankfurt for a couple of days for a meeting. While I didn't get to see much of Germany, I did love what I did see of Frankfurt. Then hopped on a plane (oh so easy!) to get to the UK where my relatives live. Loved every second spent with them, although man did they try to feed me! Didn't do too well food wise. The first day I was there my Aunt put the most massive english breakfast infront of me. I ate a couple of spoonfuls of the baked beans and a couple of mushrooms and had to apologise that I couldn't eat the rest. She felt so bad for not asking me how much I wanted, she just expected that I would have a healthy appetite.. then dinner was organised for that evening with all the family. Luckily it was serve yourself so I managed to deal myself a smaller portion and just eat what I could. Sunday I went for a pub lunch (bad bad bad place to go if you've got a band...). Luckily just as we were looking at the menu we got called over to a garden party that my cousins were at, so we skipped lunch and headed over where they had nibbles instead. On Monday I visited a friend in Bournemouth and then headed up to London in the afternoon arriving around 4pm. Caught the tube (an amazing experience!!) to Embankment station where I had dinner with one of my cousins. The resteraunt was called "Ping Pong" it was this amazing dumpling resteraunt. The problem was, there were three of us and the servings were 3 portions on a plate... and since the people i was with were starving they ordered 12 plates!!! I would of been happy with 1 portion from 3 plates... *sigh* so ended up visiting the bathroom a couple of times that evening... but the food was really amazing.
Next was on to Barcelona. Arrived Tuesday evening and went out to tea with some English colleagues I'd befriended on the ride from the airport to the hotel. I shared a Paella with one of the girls (which was great cos it was like risotto and way too much for even 2 people!!). Then at conference for 3 days where we just seemed to be constantly eating. Only a couple of times did I need to visit the bathroom, most of it was buffet food so I could put food on to small plates, have a bite and then get up and go for more food....
One Gem I did find while in Spain was Fanta Naranga (Orange Fanta). Not like our fanta that is sickly and sweet. This orange fanta was amazing, so refreshing with loads of ice... unfortunately it was quite high in Cals (around 100 cals / bottle). Left Barcelona yesterday (Friday evening) and did a 2 hour leg to Zurich and then a 11 hour leg to Hong Kong. Food on the plane was "meh". Wasn't really all that hungry to be honest. Had a couple of glasses of this gorgeous swiss red and watched a couple of movies before drifting off at around 2:30am...
Funnily enough I'm really hungry now, and am going to go off in search of this amazing soup place at HK airport where I've eaten before. I've got a craving...

13 hour to go until I'm back on home turf. This trip has defitely got my travel juices flowing... and I think I'll be talking to hubby about the possibility of a sea change to the UK while we're still young!!

LBG xx

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Ah the joy of airport waits! The trip sounds fantastic - but in the end there is no place like home.