Saturday, May 12, 2007

Why do I blog my lap band story?

I'm not sure how many people actually read this, but I do know that there are a few random people that leave messages telling me that they appreciate an "honest" account of what it's like to have a lap band. Big Hello to DARREN who stopped by yesterday to have a read and leave a comment! :)

I like to blog because I find it's a great way for me to think things through, journal my feelings and experiences and to keep myself accountable throughout my weight loss journey. If I didn't have this blog, I could easily keep my banding/weight loss a secret and no-one would know about it. I guess by putting it on here, I remain honest and truthful about my weight loss and also to give those of you thinking of getting a lap band an idea of what "real life" with a lap band is all about. I found (as Darren said) that alot of the weight loss surgery sites gave me a real positive impression about lap band surgery... that it would be easy, the weight would fall off and I would be at goal in a matter of months. But this hasn't been the case. It hasn't been easy. My brain is not banded, I'm constantly thinking about food, not only from a weight loss point of view but also because I have to figure out what I can and can't eat. I struggle each week to lose weight, because it is still sooooo easy to eat that chocolate, those chips, lollies, fast food cos it goes down so much easier. I have to work at eating a healthy balanced diet, watch my calorie intake and keep up a high level of exercise.

Do I regret getting the lap band done? Not at all, but it has taken me a long time to realise that the lap band is merely a tool and it will still take motivation, willpower and dedication to lose the weight. I hope those of you who are thinking about getting one done realise this, your weight problems will not be solved once you get a lap band - it will just make it a little easier and you can still cheat!!

On that note, I hope that I'm helping people make the right decision in their own mind to go down the surgery road - because once you go there, you can't go back - well, not easily anyway.

Have a great weekend!

LBG xx

2 comments:

Tarn71 said...

Hi Erika,
I read your blog sweety, and find I enjoy seeing whats ahead of me in my journey, the good, the not so good. and you are right about writing it down... it makes it all a little easier to go thought. Keep it up, I am watching
Tarnya

Anonymous said...

Hey Erica,

All I can tell you - is keep blogging!!

I can really relate to where you are coming from, and for me also blogging is about being honest with myself even if I havent told everyone what I have done you know!

I always read your blog, even if I dont comment as often as I should - but it definitely inspires me, as well as helps me along this sometimes frustrating journey :)

Keep it up girl!